Marijuana 101 by Kana Leaf Recreational Cannabis
The complete beginner's guide to marijuana and what to expect!
It’s hard to escape marijuana these days. It seems that everywhere you look, people are talking about this exciting plant and the potential health and wellness benefits that it may offer. Since Canada legalized marijuana for recreational use in 2018, marijuana has been getting increasingly popular.
Medicinal marijuana had been widely available throughout Canada before the 2018 legalization of recreational marijuana, but it’s the recreational cannabis market that is now fuelling growth in the marijuana sector.
In the following article, we’ll look at what marijuana is, the history of marijuana, what the different types of marijuana are, and some of the different ways that you can consume marijuana.
What Is Marijuana? – The History of Marijuana
Marijuana has been used for thousands of years by various civilizations, including the ancient Egyptians and the Chinese. However, over the last 100 years, it has had a turbulent journey, with almost every country in the world listing it as a banned substance.
However, things are looking a lot brighter for this unique plant! Many countries worldwide, including Canada, have legalized recreational marijuana use or are considering it for both medicinal and recreational.
There are two types of cannabis, marijuana and hemp. Marijuana is high in THC and low in CBD and other cannabinoids, while hemp is the opposite. The two dominant cannabinoids are tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
CBD is widely used for its potential health and wellness benefits and has no psychotropic properties at all. THC does have psychotropic properties but is still used for the potential health and wellness benefits it offers. There are various medical marijuana programs worldwide that are used to treat a variety of different conditions and symptoms, including pain relief, muscle and joint pain, anxiety, stress, depression, eating disorders, and much more.
What Are Marijuana Strains?
There are thousands of different marijuana strains, but among those, there are three dominant types of marijuana. The three main types of marijuana, also known as strains, are:
- Indica – Indica strains of cannabis are ideal for anyone looking for a relaxing, deep, and numbing body high. If you have trouble sleeping, or you’re looking to unwind at the end of a long day, then an indica strain could be perfect for you.
- Sativa – Sativa cannabis strains will provide you with a euphoric and uplifting high that many cannabis enthusiasts find energetic. If you love getting creative while you’re high or doing physical activity, then a sativa strain of cannabis could be ideal.
Hybrid – Hybrid strains of cannabis are a combination of both sativa and indica cannabis strains. You can get balanced hybrid strains; however, most hybrid types tend to be either sativa or indica dominant, depending on their genetics and breeding.
Different Ways To Consume Marijuana
One of the great things about marijuana is its versatility. There are heaps of different ways that people worldwide get to enjoy the benefits of marijuana. In this section, we’ll take a brief look at some of the most popular marijuana delivery methods and the advantages and disadvantages of different delivery methods.
- Smoking Marijuana – Smoking marijuana is one of the oldest and most common ways people enjoy using marijuana. There are various ways that you can smoke marijuana, including a water pipe or bong, traditional pipe, or rolling marijuana in a joint. Although effective, smoking marijuana may not be the healthiest or most efficient way to consume marijuana. While many people consider marijuana smoke to be less harmful than cigarette smoke, you are still inhaling smoke that contains carcinogens. The effects of smoking marijuana are fast-acting, with the cannabinoids entering the bloodstream via the thin tissues in the lung.
- Vaping Marijuana – Vaping marijuana has been gaining a lot of popularity over the last decade as a potentially healthier alternative to smoking marijuana. The dry herb is placed into a chamber where it’s heated to the point that cannabinoids such as THC and CBD are released, but below the point of combustion, which eliminates the smoke. Many enthusiasts believe that vaping is healthier than smoking and more efficient because fewer of the cannabinoids are lost in the process. Like smoking, cannabinoids such as THC and CBD enter the bloodstream when vaping via the thin tissues of the lungs, making it an extremely fast high. However, the effects of vaping don’t last as long as edibles.
- Marijuana Edibles – If vaping or smoking doesn’t sound very appealing to you, then you always have the option of marijuana edibles. Marijuana edibles have come a long way in a noticeably short time. The old ‘homemade’ edibles are a thing of the past, with marijuana edibles now being available in dosages down to the mg. Beginners should take it slowly with marijuana edibles as the effects can last a lot longer than smoking and be much more intense.
Marijuana 101 – Conclusion
Thanks for checking out our article on marijuana 101. If you have any questions about marijuana or any of the marijuana products that we stock, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our friendly and professional team members will only be so happy to help you.
While marijuana has a lot of potential as a health and wellness product, we still have a long way to go before we can make any medical claims about marijuana. More clinical trials are still required.
If you have been searching for premium marijuana products throughout Canada, then no one does it better than our team at Kana Leaf. We are proudly servicing the North Bay, Ontario area with high-quality, fresh, and delicious strains of cannabis. We have a wide variety of different cannabis products to choose from, and we’re sure that there’s something to suit everyone and every occasion.